While Amazon Prime Video has five times more shows than Netflix. The beloved streaming service, Netflix stands out with original and better quality content. Here is our Netflix vs Prime Video showdown.
Netflix has become a global phenomenon. It is a subscription-based streaming service. With a subscription, you have access to thousands of movies, series, and documentaries without commercials. Netflix takes pride in their selections, and on their Netflix originals exclusive for the online service. But are they worth it?
Plans and pricing
There are several payment options when signing up for Netflix. Each user gets charged monthly from the sign-up date. You can cancel the subscription at any time. The consumers can change the plan at any given time, and from the following month, the plan will be changed. Note that you may be charged extra taxes by Netflix, depending on where you live.
Netflix also offers many bonuses. From a free one-month trial at sign up to upgrades when signing up for the first time or after rejoining.
- Plan 1: Basic. It costs $8.99 monthly and allows for one screen to be watched at a time. You can only have Downloads on one device with this plan, and you will be able to watch from any: laptop, tablet, phone, etc. This plan will give you unlimited access to all movies and series featured by Netflix in your region. No High Definition (HD) viewing is available for the Basic plan.
- Plan 1: Standard. It costs $13.99 monthly and allows for two screens to be watched at the same time. You can have Downloads on two devices with this plan, and you will be able to watch from any: laptop, tablet, phone, etc. This plan will give you unlimited access to all movies and series featured by Netflix in your region. The Standard plan allows for HD viewing.
- Plan 1: Premium. It costs $17.99 monthly and allows for four screens to be watched at the same time. You can have Downloads on four devices with this plan, and you will be able to watch from any: laptop, tablet, phone, etc. This plan will give you unlimited access to all movies and series featured by Netflix in your region. The Premium plan allows for HD and Ultra HD viewing.
How to watch on Netflix?
To watch on Netflix, you must download and install the Netflix app on any streaming device or smart TV. Since Netflix is extremely popular, many modern smart TVs come with the app and even have a shortcut to access it on the remote control.
Prime Video Overview
Prime Video is a video streaming service. The membership includes a large selection of movies and TV shows from many genres. They also feature Amazon Original Movies and series, exclusive to the online service.
Plans and Pricing
Amazon Prime Video offers a 30 days free trial when signing up for the first time. There are two ways to gain access to Amazon Prime Video. The first is by being a member of Amazon Prime and the second is by purchasing only the Prime Video service.
- Amazon Prime Video: The price is $8.99 per month.
- Amazon Prime Membership: It can be a membership perk when belonging to the Amazon Prime Membership program. To enroll you must pay $12.99 per month with Prime Monthly. The Prime Annual has a value of $119.00 per year, about $9.92 monthly.
How to watch Amazon Prime Video?
You need to download the Prime Video app on any Smart TV or device capable of streaming in order to watch Prime Video
A new feature by Amazon is the Prime Video Watch Party. When watching any movie or show, you can send a link to up to 100 members of Prime Video and they can join and watch with you.
Netflix vs Prime Video?
|Prime Video||Prime Membership + Prime Video||Netflix Basic||Netflix Standard||Netflix Premium|
|Free Trial||30 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
|Streaming Speed||15 Mbps||3 Mbps (SD)||5 Mbps (HD)||25 Mbps (4K)|
|Offline watching available||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Number of movies||22,876||3,751|
|Numbers of shows||1,984||1,569|
|Movies in IMDb Top 250||21||33|
|TV Shows in IMDb Top 250||47||69|
Netflix offers a three-tier subscription depending on the budget and suitability. Amazon, on the other hand, offers one.
While Amazon Prime Video is doing its best trying to produce high-quality original shows, it is still lagging behind its rival. Yet Netflix has featured some exclusive self-produced household named movies and shows over the past few years, which has attracted a large number of subscribers. If you have heard about Stranger Things, The Queen’s Gambit, 13 Reasons Why, or Black Mirror, then you already know they are Netflix shows.
Netflix has made a name for itself, and it’s respected in the media industry. Their philosophy focuses on original content with higher quality, also casting a large boost of attention to any show streamed in the service.
While Amazon has a larger amount of available content, Netflix surpasses the titles featured on IMDb top 250. This proves how quality over quantity always wins.
To conclude, it is easy to determine that Netflix is the winner. With a more customer-focused approach and better content quality, they have proven to be superior to Prime Video by a long shot.