The Samsung Group is a multinational conglomerate whose headquarters are located in Seoul, South Korea. They have many affiliated businesses, most of these are united under the Samsung brand.
One of the most remarkable Samsung affiliates is Samsung Electronics. This is the world’s largest information and technology company as of 2017. They also make consumer electronics and chips. While Samsung Electronics is the most famous due to their phones, laptops and tablets. They are top on other industries like:
- Samsung Heavy Industries: The world’s second largest shipbuilder in 2010
- Samsung Engineering and Samsung C & T: The first is the 13th and the second is the 36th world largest construction companies.
- Samsung Life Insurance: The world’s 14th largest life insurance company
- Samsung Everland: They operate the Everland Resort, which is the oldest amusement park in South Korea.
- Cheil Worldwide: The world’s largest 15th advertising agency in 2012.
The company has continued to expand since its creation, and 2020 saw some incredible new technology. We will focus mainly on Samsung Electronics, as it is the consumer based business, that will benefit us the most. Also, it focuses on tech savvy consumers. The motto of Samsung Electronics and principle is “Inspire the World, Create the Future”.
They have followed those ideals, and in 2020 they came forward with some futuristic technology such as: AI programming for the house or smart car, smart house robots, etc.
The company sets high expectations on themselves. Samsung Electronics set the goal to reach the $400 billions sales by 2020. Due to the pandemic, this goal may fall short, but we will only know when the last quarterly report comes out in 2021.
Best consumer focused releases in 2020
The technology world saw many releases from Samsung in 2020. While the company probably didn’t get as much revenue as it would have in circumstances, many customers benefit from the tech upgrades. From foldable phones, to 8K TVs and improved tablets enhanced from professional artists, Samsung has proven once again they are on top when it comes to user focused technology
Best Phones in 2020
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S20
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition
- Samsung Galaxy S10
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2
- Samsung Galaxy A80
- Samsung Galaxy S10e
Best laptops in 2020
- Samsung Notebook 9 13”
- Samsung Notebook 9 15”
- Samsung Notebook Flash.
- Samsung Galaxy Book 2.
- Samsung Notebook Odyssey Z.
- Samsung Chromebook Plus.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A Kids Edition
- Galaxy Buds Live
- QLED Line (4K + 8K)
Technology released in 2020
In this year’s (2020) Consumers Electronics Show (CES), Samsung explored some of their newest technologies. Some have been released already in their current products. Others are going to be released in 2021.
Amongst the most noteworthy techs being used in 2020 we have:
- Portable SSD T7 touch: This storage unit has become the new standard in Speed and safety for external storage devices.
- Ballie: It is a personalized companion that understands and supports you, they can even interact and care for pets.
- Food AI: This program is supposed to look into your fridge and scan the available food. Then it proposed what dishes you can prepare with what you already own.
- 5G and V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) : This is expected to be used for smart cars. The program will be linked to the 5G for an effective driving experience. It provides real-time updates on dangers that will develop beyond the driver’s line of sight. This feature will allow the vehicle using the software to respond in time in a safe way. The best part of linking the two technologies is to enhance driving information without delay.
- Infinity Screen: This is a signature display by Samsung. It is virtually bezel-less, meaning the frame doesn’t interfere with how the user interacts with the display. It was first introduced on the Galaxy S8 and S8+, and it provides an immersive viewing experience.
Samsung plans for 2021
Many of the technology that we saw in 2020, will be improved or used more extensively in 2021. But, there are rumors of other techs and even some confirmed announcements by Samsung Electronics itself.
The company has reportedly planned to launch new folding smartphone devices in 2021 with 5G support. Many say this plan is ambitious, so we have yet to see if they manage to deliver.
Samsung has assured that in 2021 they will have launched more devices using UV LED. This is invisible to the eyes as ultra-violet light is germicidal. This means it can kill germs, viruses and bacteria. It also has a deodorant effect, eliminating strong smells and leaving a refreshing odor. So far Samsung has only a handful of refrigerators with this technology. 2021 will see an increase of their devices using UV LED.
The new Samsung’s Galaxy S will be unveiled in January of 2021 instead of February as it is customary by the company. They hope to regain capital faster, after 2020 having impacted sales. Apple, their biggest competitor in the market, has been swift to release the iphone 12 faster, and it impacted greatly on their earnings in 2020.
Even though 2020 has been a hard year for everyone, even the electronics business, they are optimistic. They are planning to ship more than 300 million mobiles in 2021, including 287 smartphones. Would this happen, it would represent an increase in 14% when compared with what 2020 shows.